Thursday, February 21, 2013

More C25K


I was just taking a look at the couch to 5K plan I am following and I am up to week 7 now.  Warm up walk followed by 25 minutes of running (jogging).  The plan indicates 25 minutes or 2.5 miles which works out to 4K.  Well here I thought I was doing good just managing the 25 minutes and having increased the speed a small amount over the first day of doing it.

But my distance leaves a LOT of room for improvement.  Right now including the 5 minute warm up walk and the 25 minute run I am only hitting about 3.6 K.  So I definitely still have a bit of work to do on getting my running speed up.

I do know I am not really pushing myself in a cardio sense for the runs.  I can still sing pretty much at any point of the run right now.  So I know I can keep working on stepping up the speed.  Tomorrow is the last day of the week for running and my goal is to increase my running speed for the duration of the 25 minute run to 7.4 with at least a little bit of it at 7.8 (usually at the end I feel a desire to speed it up a bit).  That should get me to around 3.1 or so for the run portion.

It is a little disheartening to me that my pace is so far below what I would need to hit 4K in 25 minutes.  Just was doing a bit of math on it and it looks like I have to move it up by a full 2.1K/hour to hit that (so my 7.4 will need to increase to 9.5).  That is definitely going to take some time!  I think my intermediate goal will be to get to 8.5 for a pace.  That would be amazing as far as I am concerned (if I did the math right it would mean about a 35 minute 5K).  But even with my current pace I would be happy.  Will just keep on rolling and see where this lands me!

No comments:

Post a Comment