Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Out of Town Revelations

Well after 11 days away from home, in a really nice little place (St. Charles Missouri) I recognized a few things that I want to work on.

One, I have let my portion control edge it's way back up.  This is very evident when I find myself eating full restaurant meals (which we know are crazy oversized most of the time) and then following it up with dessert. This is something that I can and will be working on over the next little while - getting my portions back into reasonable amounts.

Next, that I need to get back to being more self aware, looking at my moods and the other things that influence my choices.  I certainly found my evenings alone while out of town to be a bit more solitary than I was happy with. I am not someone who needs or wants to be constantly surrounded by people, but it is a bit lonely 11 suppers by yourself.  I sure chose a lot more desserts than I needed to - although I will blame some of that on the awesome restaurants and the temptation of all the interesting desserts.

Great revelation - I really have fully habituated a few things.  Vegetables are an easy choice for me now, it is rare that I even look very longingly at the french fry option for a side (I won't deny I still consider them sometimes but I pretty much never choose them anymore).

The thought of white bread mostly grosses me out now.  Seeing it so prevalent there just kind of drove it home for me.  I still and probably will always love my mom's home made white bread (or better yet cinnamon buns) but mostly I just can't be bothered with the stuff - if I am going to have bread I want it to have some substance, some whole grains, some various mixed grains even better, a few seeds or something mixed it is even better.

All in all I guess I am feeling pretty good about my time out of town, helped me refocus and get myself back on track.  And great choices since then!  More to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment