Sunday, August 7, 2016

Starting Again

It is sad to me that I have to say I am almost back at the beginning. I have let myself be way too sedentary. I have started eating piles of the foods (well food like substances) that I know have little or no redeeming characteristics. The end result is that my body feels achy and full of little reminders that not moving enough is not a recipe for a fit feeling body. All this is not to mention that the other obvious result is that I am again carrying around a lot of excess body fat. That is not the healthy me I want to be. So today I start back down the road of returning to a healthy lifestyle. My plan is as follows:

Activity

  • Steps – 10K/day - I dusted off the fitbit and slapped it on my wrist.
  • Standing – 2hrs/workday – I have the sit stand desk it is time to use it with a goal in mind.
  • Dancing – 15 minutes/morning – I love doing it, it is a great way to start the day.
  • Yoga – 2 sessions/week – I need to get back to moving my body and stretching it. I will swap in other activities as desired – and once I get going I plan to up this goal to more times a week.
  • Sleep – 7 hours/night – so important, so easy to neglect

Eating

  • Food Tracking – I wish I could say I don't need something like this. But the simple truth is, for me it is very helpful to track my eating, as it helps to remind me about portions and keeps me reminded about yet another reason why the foods that aren't healthy aren't healthy.
  • Cooking at home – this is a huge key. It is so easy to grab foods on the go. Problem is those are too often food-like substances that have little resemblance to real healthy food.
  • Fruit and Vegetables – 5 servings a day (minimum)
  • Water – 8 glasses/day (minimum)

Measurables/Accountability

  • Pictures – I believe these are a valuable way of documenting the journey.
  • Videos – because it isn't primarily about what your body looks like, it is about what it can do. I will be setting myself a couple of goals and then doing regular videos of my progress towards those goals.
  • Scale – body fat % is the one I will primarily be concerned with (although I doubt my scale actually does a good job on this). I might drop this measurable as generally I don't consider it a healthy thing to worry about.
  • Community – I will blog about this, and I will look for a community to connect with, that was a really important part of the process last time. And I hope to find something like that again.



No comments:

Post a Comment