Friday, August 26, 2016

Finding Yourself

So I keep playing the song "Sand in my Shoes" by Dido. I love this song. On the face of it, it seems it is about a woman who perhaps met someone while on holidays and is now home.

BUT, here is my take on this song. The interpretation I am feeling right now.

First the YOU, is ME. It is that me that is my best and happiest me. It is the me that is unafraid and open and everything else. It is the me that I unfortunately also regularly stifle. Why do I do that, why do I stifle that me? Fear is likely a part of it. Some ill conceived notion I have of who I should be, of the labels I and others have applied to me.

We start with the idea of "I don't have time" right at the start of the song. Guess I will have to start making time to grow that me, nurture her so she feels safe being out.

"I've still got sand in my shoes. And I can't shake the thought of you. I should get on, forget you. But why would I want to." I love this line so much - this idea of moving on because we should. How many things have I done in the name of should that in hindsight really were shouldn'ts.

"I know we said goodbye, anything else would have been confused but IIIIIIIII wanna see you again". Well let us hope it isn't too confused. That brighter me is still me, and I do, I wanna see that me again!

And then again maybe that you I want to see again is also some sandy beach somewhere that can provide the sand for my shoes. A beach where I can let that ME out to play. But I am not going to wait for that beach - today is as good a day as any to start opening the door for her.

No comments:

Post a Comment