Thursday, December 9, 2010

The Lure of the Body Test

I NEVER understood people who would say "Oh god I gained a pound today" because I pretty much never stepped on a scale except at my physical.  So I really just didn't get the whole weighing yourself every day thing. Until now.  That is the one thing after a little while with the Wii that I don't love.  Each day that I go on to do my workout it says "don't forget your body test".  And because I started out doing it each time I find the lure of the body test very strong - especially since they paired it with the fun of the wii fit age test.

But what I see from having done it for a while is that for me it is actually kind of counter productive.  Our bodies go through some natural shifts in weight - and even the Wii acknowledges that when you try to weigh in at a different time than you normally do.  For me when I see a weight result that I can attach to a reason, to something I clearly did or did not do then it is fine.  But then when I have one or more results that don't seem to reflect how I feel I was doing then I feel very discouraged.  I feel like the odds of me getting a result I don't really expect when I weigh in once a week is probably less likely.  It will probably be obvious to me where I went right and wrong.  Plus I think the odds of having it happen multiple weeks in a row is very unlikely.

Well I just came across a little discussion board and it is clear there are a lot of people with a scale obsession and I can definitely see how that happens (NOW).  But a lot of them also have eating disorders so....  But one person posted how her daughter had a 5 week weight loss cycle of 4 weeks of bouncing around right around the same weight followed by a 5th week with a substantial drop.  So the weekly weigh in will be good for me to see if I find myself on any kind of cycle.

No comments:

Post a Comment