Sunday, September 11, 2016

Movement and Intention

I think I mentioned that I am back at doing my 8 minutes in the morning exercises. Although I won't do them every day – for example on days when I have aquacize I will allow myself the choice of whether to do dance party and 8 minutes or not. Sometimes I probably will, sometimes not.

The reason I mention it today is that today was hamstrings and quads. Hamstrings is a prone pelvic lift (but with your feet on a chair).
By the way I can't take credit for drawing this. I found a picture online then just did a bit of playing with picture effects to make it purple and looking like it was hand drawn.

So as I started them I could feel right away that my low back was feeling it. I know from having heard it many times at pilates classes that if you don't have intention with this – if you don't properly engage your glutes you will dump into your low back – and sure enough that is what I was doing.

I quickly adjusted my intention, engaging my rear end as I should have been from the beginning – and lo and behold what do you think happened??? That's right – it is no real surprise but the issue with my low back evaporated.


So here is my reminder to you and to myself – proper form and conscious intention in movement will help keep you safe in your activities so you are able to continue enjoying them for a long, long time!

No comments:

Post a Comment