Friday, October 7, 2016

Contemplation on Inner Dialog and Judgement

I have been thinking about this a LOT lately. Maybe it is because I have been feeling so judgmental lately. It is not a trait I cherish in myself, but it is one I have a really hard time fighting off.

This has made me wonder if our worst thoughts about others are just a reflection of our worst thoughts about ourself. Are they simply a reflection of our own fears and insecurities. Last night I posted about how I am feeling less confident in myself to overcome some new challenges. One of those things is about my memory and learning ability - and that it doesn't feel as strong as it once was. And I realize that I have had such a low tolerance for others in that regard lately. Probably because it has been bothering me a lot about myself.

So, recognizing this is one thing. Doing something about it is another altogether. I came across an article that hit on three points that I knew, but really needed a refresher on (I am labelling them here with my own names so I can try to weld them into my brain).

1. Pause! when you catch yourself mid-judgement just stop. Acknowledge what you are doing - awareness and breaking into that pattern is the first step.

2. Alter! change that judgement into some type of praise (I honestly am not sure I know how I would do this when I am judging the guy or girl in their ultra souped up noise machine of a vehicle - but I will try to think of something!). Maybe the times this is very hard will be the times I will get the most out of it.

3. Reflect! Look at yourself and see if the behaviour or trait you have a problem with is one you possess yourself. I already know and have acknowledged that this is the case for me a LOT of the time. Maybe accepting those things in myself is the key to accepting them in others? I am not sure, but again I think awareness is an important part of this.

And I will add one more that is an amalgam of various other things I have read

4. Release! Once you have acknowledged it and taken the time to examine it, don't let it linger with you. Let go of your judgement of the other person, of yourself.  Forgive yourself for it so you can move past it and grow from the experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment