Thursday, October 6, 2016

Success on Steps from Last Post - AND New Horizons

Sometimes it is easy to notice and write about the challenges and struggles and hard to celebrate the victories (big and small). Other times it is the opposite. For this post, I want to celebrate a win and acknowledge a challenge.

The win - I did just what I said I was going to do in my last blog post. I did my morning dance party the other day, and I walked to the grocery store during my lunch break. This boost isn't a new start, but it is a "refresher" as it helps to renew my energy for this overhaul I am going through. Oh, and I did clean out my fridge freezer too!

The challenge is a bit more personal. I am living alone for the first time in my life. It is a real adjustment. And, I am not sure how I will do with it. There are a lot of things I need to do on my own now - some of which I am looking forward to, others of which I am not. The snow on my sidewalks is a mixed feelings item. I don't mind shovelling snow, but I don't actually know where the shovel is :S.

I think one of the scariest things about this new adventure is the number of things I am going to need to learn. A couple years ago I think I would have felt more confident in my ability to learn all these things. Now, I feel less secure in that. Get ready for a TMI - I think in large part my concern is coming out of another new horizon (perimenopause).

So, why am I pointing the finger at perimenopause? Mostly because of sleep. It doesn't seem to matter if I go to bed at a good regular time (and decently early), I either take forever to fall asleep, or I wake up feeling like I barely slept at all or both.
The lack of rest has me feeling the impact in so many different areas. I feel like it is playing havoc with my memory. That makes work harder for sure. But it also makes me feel less confident in my ability to learn some of the new things that would make solo living easier. Or, even remembering what things need to be done (changing furnace filters, cleaning out eavestroughs, getting trees trimmed etc).

As an end note, I will hope that if anyone actually reads this that they can send a few positive thoughts my way. Wish me luck in working through these new horizons and finding lots of cause to celebrate victories along the way. And, mostly, wish me a good night's sleep!

No comments:

Post a Comment