Saturday, October 15, 2016

Tracking, Tracking, Tracking

I know that intrinsic motivations should be enough to keep me accountable to myself and my goals. But, my tracking spreadsheet has become a vital piece of my personal accountability puzzle. The last week I didn't track at all, and I must admit that while I was pretty okay with my Thanksgiving decisions, the rest of this week doesn't quite get the same nod of approval.

I feel like there is an avalanche of "stuff" going on right now. Honestly, I am not sure I have ever experienced such a combination of work stress and personal stress at any other time of my life. It makes the retreat into mindless eating and thoughtless food choices much too easy. It also makes it far too easy to skip over activity that my body needs. This is where tracking becomes vital for me. It puts those choices in front of me, forces me to look at them - they can't be thoughtless when I have to track them.

One thing I had noticed is that a few of my tracking activities had dropped off long before this week. The one that probably has the most impact is tracking my water and activity. So, on opening up my tracker I devised a nice way to make my tracking even easier for those things - AND, more importantly, more readily visible (that is what you see up at the top of this post). I intend to put this new technique to the test and see how much it helps in my continuing efforts.

No comments:

Post a Comment