Monday, May 23, 2011

Background on last post

My previous post is one that got me thinking a lot.  One of my WW online friends commented about losses slowing down (which is exactly what has happened to me this past month).  I accept it but I also occasionally feel frustrated by it - especially since at the start things went so very well and so quickly.  So it got me to thinking, since I know slow loss is actually good and more likely to stay off than a really fast loss, so why does the slow loss get to me sometimes.  You can see below my exploration of that.  I could say it is just some irrational thing I am doing to myself when I think/feel that way.  But the simple fact of the matter is that I am a fairly rational person - so I thought it was very important to explore why this rational person is having those feelings.

I certainly knew lots of counter arguments for the feelings/thoughts but delving into the why was really important. What rationale was supporting my thoughts that I wanted to lose more quickly?  I definitely feel like this was actually the more important part of that process - the counter arguments are easy, the searching for rationale was more challenging (especially for a few of them).

The process must also have unlocked something in my brain because I had a dream that helped me to recognize another one.  So here is one more:

I want to lose faster because I am jealous of other women who have figures like I aspire to.  So what is at the core of this? I think it is many things - socially it seems like they probably have an easier time being accepted; they have much more selection to choose from when it comes to clothing; plain and simple I feel like they look better than I do - and I think we all often want whatever it is that we don't have.  Some of the counter arguments: when I was young and thin and in shape I never felt like it was significantly easier for me to fit in and be accepted, I had a whole host of other things that caused self-consciousness etc; I am now to a stage where I have more options than I used to have and soon enough I will have more - and quite frankly I am not in the market to buy a lot of clothes right now, so the amount of selection I have shouldn't really bother me; I may very well have some features or characteristics that those women would covet as well and I should rejoice in my own traits rather than wanting what others have - I am lucky to be who I am living where I live and with such abundance available to me - I should cherish that.

No comments:

Post a Comment