Sunday, April 13, 2014

Just Tri It

I am just into the third week of a mini triathalon training program.  It is a really fantastic thing http://justtri-it.com/ that I am grateful to my neighbour Debbie for suggesting.

The group meets 3 times a week to train (swimming on Sunday, biking on Monday, running on Thursday).  It has been a lot of fun, I have met a quite a few people doing it.  And it is a fantastic way to get me out and about instead of sitting here in front of my computer so much.

Swimming is by far the hardest component of the training.  I am not a terrible swimmer by any means, but I don't have anything even approaching good technique.  The worst part of which is my breathing technique. I always used to just turn my head side to side (with it lifted too much so that doesn't help with body position).  Working on this breathing was just HARD, I felt all drowny every time across the pool.  It was my focus on every single drill we did, all I thought about was breathing properly.  Today I feel like I had a small breakthrough.  I just realized I am MUCH better at one side than the other for taking in that air.  So I am just going to concentrate on that side for now so I can really just improve the other things without always being fully focused on the breathing.

Yay for breakthroughs!

3 comments:

  1. Welcome to the tri club! Despite my 70.3 Ironman DNF this past weekend, I love doing tris, swimming being my best component and the bike gets me often enough, however I will keep plugging. Stay focused on you and it will be great! I hope you love being a triathlete. It's an awesome community!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Shannon thanks. It is not in small part because of you that I decided to give it a try when Debbie suggested it. Even the thought of trying an ironman is so impressive to me, can't imagine really.

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete