Saturday, July 23, 2011

Stupid scale

Now many would probably expect with that title that I was about to rant and rave about a gain.  But not me, I am going to rant and rave about even having to use a scale and I am going to rant and rave about having a loss that was bigger than I wanted.  I really want my loss rate to settle down a little bit and while I know I am almost always likely to have a bigger than average loss on the week following my gain week I just don't want it.  I want to give my body time to bounce back to shape slowly but surely.  I don't want the weight to fall off too fast because all I hear are the stories of people who lost fast and then turned around and gained fast.  I don't see that happening to me because I do feel like I have the right frame of mind to maintain for life once I reach my goal.  Because I recognize that I will need to do this on an ongoing basis.

Anyhow on to a rant about the darned scale.  I hate the amount I still care about what it says, the number it spits out at me and how disappointed it can make me feel - and the expectations and hopes I still tie to it.  I step on it hoping for a loss when I know really I shouldn't care that much about what it does in a single week.  And after the fact I am able to balance out that thinking and those feelings but it is that tiny bit of time standing on there waiting for that wii fit little measurement bar to settle on it's stopping point as it goes up that is the really hard part.  It is the bated breath as I can't help but hope it stops short of the last weigh in's little bar.

I suppose what it comes down to is that I almost always have some goal or target in mind and it seems like so rarely do I ever seem to hit it.  Today I would have been really happy with losing the half pound I went up last week and maybe dropping an extra half pound after that.  That would have been great.  So maybe it doesn't matter what the scale does when it doesn't meet our expectations.  I guess I can really see why one scale result that is deemed bad by the person sometimes throws them completely off track.  I am grateful that I am able to put my feelings into perspective after the fact because I am focused on the big picture of what I am doing - but I think I have a new appreciation for how this can go for others.

No comments:

Post a Comment