Saturday, January 14, 2012

How to hot holiday without flying

This is the subject on my mind. After flying down to Mexico and back I can't help but feel that I am done with flying.  I actually don't mind it (although the descent can get me a little motion sick or a lot motion sick sometimes).  But I just can't really justify doing it anymore. Not with what I know it does to the environment.  So that leaves me with the need to find alternative ways to have a holiday.

I know there probably aren't that many people who read my blog that often on here but I am wondering if anyone knows of any good ways to do particularly a hot holiday without flying.  I am game for a combination of buses, trains, boats, even driving of my own although I would prefer options where I don't have to drive for days and days.

The other thing I wonder if anyone knows is sailing options. Ones where you are actually spending most of your time on the ship/boat under sail as opposed to running an engine.  That is something I would love to find.  A sailing excursion that would take me all the way from Canada to the Mediterranean.  Now that would be the thing!

Well that is what I am thinking about - and wondering how I can manage to find the options for doing these kinds of things.  Perhaps that should be my main research pursuit for the next year!

2 comments:

  1. Bus, train, sail and are low carbon travel options. They also give "value" to distance; that is so easy to take for granted when flying. A little more planning can make the journey productive and/or enjoyable.

    Five years ago I stopped flying (except for very limited work trips) to cut the environmental impact. I was surprised to find that there are interesting things more locally if you look hard enough.

    Good luck with the dieting. You have made amazing progress.

    Flightless Traveller

    ReplyDelete
  2. So happy to hear you have found success with this. And I love the idea of adding value to the distance - what an awesome way to look at it. Appreciating the distance is not something we do when flying for sure (at least I don't). Thanks for this comment!!!!

    ReplyDelete