Sunday, January 29, 2012

Jacob's Ladder 1

Today marked the first day of working on my Jacob's ladder goal.  I did 12.5 minutes on there. Someone who has never used it probably would think any kind of cardio exercise done for a mere 12.5 minutes is not worth the effort - but anyone who has used it knows that thing is not like hopping on a treadmill and running.

So first minute I did a little bit of an interval mid way. After that at each minute through minute 8 at the change of the minute I did 20 seconds of high speed followed by 40 seconds of low speed.  Honestly on minute 3 I was already looking at it and dreading when it would roll over to the next minute and the speed portion.  By the last one I can tell you that 20 seconds felt wayyyyyy longer than the earlier 20 second stretches. Then for the last couple of minutes I just did a pace of about 33 (which probably doesn't mean much to anyone who hasn't been on it).  It is a pretty slow pace but still provides good work.  During that time I made a point of extending my heel down on each step thus giving myself a tiny bit of calf stretch and turning on my hamstrings to take some of the work off the quads.

After that I went to an R&R class at Lead Pilates.  That was a great one, gave me some good stretching and releasing opportunities.  Then when there was just one person there for the mat class so they were going to go do equipment I opted to stay and that was a really marvellous workout.

So all in all it was a great day today (although I am tired now and thinking a hot soak in the tub sounds like a good way to spend some time!)

No comments:

Post a Comment