Saturday, February 26, 2011

Food Theories

On the whole I have been thinking a bit about food lately.  I have never been a fan of low fat, no sugar added, etc etc.  Usually, what I read when I see those things is PROCESSED, ARTIFICIAL, UNNATURAL.  So one of the things that I have been attempting to do since starting on Weight Watchers is to really choose good, healthy, natural foods.

I never choose classic "diet" foods.  Most things that are low fat seem to replace the fat with sugar which is much worse for you than the fat probably was.  Plus I think of a place like France where people tend to be much slimmer than us here in Canada and North America generally.  It certainly isn't because they eat a bunch of "diet" food.  It is because a lot of them do what a person should do - pick a very good quality selection of food to eat and eat it in moderation.  And that moderation is made much easier because the good quality of the food is so satisfying and delicious that there isn't this big void of satisfaction left like there is after you eat so much of the processed garbage that passes for food here.  When you eat the crappy, unsatisfactory "diet" pudding and are left wanting (because it tastes terrible and is missing the food elements like fat etc that provide physical satisfaction) - so what do you do, you eat another one even if you aren't still hungry you are not satisfied.  I put that down to quality over quantity.  I think some of this idea has come from a variety of places but I think there is a book written by a french woman that talks about this - just did a search it is called "French Women Don't Get Fat".  Think I might need to pick that one up.

It is interesting quite a few people on the WW boards who were on the previous WW plan complain about this one - saying they can't lose on it.  What I wonder is how many of them do the whole "diet" food thing - they are so used to choosing their low fat yogurt etc that they just can't break those habits.  Would be very interesting to get a sense of that.  But that is just a theory and I have no idea if it would be true or not.  I just know the plan is working great for me (another 2 pounds off this week) and I credit my food choices and portion sizes with that - and like I said before portion sizes are much easier to control when the food you eat is truly satisfying.

I worked today so I am going to try to get in  a bit of exercise later - not sure what yet so I won't fill in anything on the table yet.

Other Strength My Routine Step Pilates

No comments:

Post a Comment