Saturday, February 19, 2011

TRX

Yesterday I went to http://leadpilates.com/ and tried out their TRX workout.  That was one desperately hard 40 minutes. The idea of it is that it is resistance training using your own body as the resistance.  There are these straps suspended from the ceiling and using the straps you do all kinds of exercises that are kind of like regular calisthenics but not quite because you can vary the resistance by changing your body position.

There is a section where you put your feet in the straps and do a plank and then in the plank you crunch in or sway to work the obliques.  That was the hardest part (although the tricep work was also very challenging).  One great thing about that workout was that it does help to isolate the correct muscles - I did find the work in the proper places most of the time whereas I know at home sometimes I figure out ways to "cheat" the work to other muscles sometimes.  The other great thing about that workout is that it really made me 100 percent aware of just how badly I need to rebuild the quad strength in my right leg.  I never really rebuilt it after my knee surgery all those years ago and now I really recognize how badly I neglected it.

Now to the slightly sad news - I had a small gain this week.  And I know the name of the culprit is SODIUM.  Most of the week I was just parched as can be because my sodium intake was definitely up far over what it had been recently.  Well I am sure it will drop back down next week.

Other Strength My Routine Step Pilates
TRX 40
Walking 12

No comments:

Post a Comment