Saturday, March 19, 2011

Cognitive Dissonance Baby

Cognitive dissonance - without realizing it I have been trying to use this very powerful tool on myself - kind of.  Basically if you ever read any of my other posts about how I feel about the scale you will know I don't love the scale.  So why do I feel so happy about seeing a good drop in the number on the scale - why does it matter to me so much??

Each time I write about the scale being a bonus and that it isn't that important I am trying to shape my belief system to be in line with those statements - and deep down I feel like it is.  But there are still moments when it feels important to me.  Maybe this week it is because it finally left the hundreds (in Kgs) so that is a bit of a milestone for me.

Well I guess I will forgive myself for caring about the scale and get my butt headed for work.

Other Strength My Routine Step Pilates

1 comment:

  1. Didn't realize I can comment here. I also commented on your page. It is an interesting conundrum as the reality of why we are doing it is to get healthy.

    Healthy includes, but is not limited to, smaller BMI which often has a relationship with the number on the scale.

    We are so conditioned to see that number as the pay off. I have really been appreciating your approach to not make the number the beginning nor the end of the story... but it is part of the story.

    Keep me posted on how you do with the answer to the question of how to navigate this one!

    ReplyDelete